Puran Poli / How To Make A Puran Poli / Puran Poli Recipe
Puran poli recipe is a traditional type of sweet flatbread made in Maharashtra. Puran poli is a classical Marathi dish, which is a dessert served during auspicious occasions and during important festivals such as holi, ganesh chaturthi, diwali, padwa or any other festive occasion. The stuffing is known as puran and the outer cover is known as poli. The puran is made by cooked chana dal-chickpea lentils and grind it, make a fine paste. Fry the fine dal paste with coconut, dry ginger and jaggery. The outer cover is made by making a dough by mixing wheat flour or maida and ghee. You can serve with a spoonful of ghee.
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Medium
- Channa Dal – 1 cup
- Dry Ginger – 1/2 tbsp
- Jaggery (Grated) – 1 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tbsp
For Dough :—-
- Wheat Flour-Atta or Maida – 2 cup
- Oil for frying –
- Water as per needed
- Wash and soak channa dal for over night.
- Cook channa dal in pressure cooker till dal gets soft.
- In a grinder, add cooked channa dal and grind it, make fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add channa dal paste and fry properly.
- Add grated coconut, dry ginger and jaggery, fry it till jaggery becomes melt and keep aside, allow to cool.
- In a bowl, add atta or maida and oil, mix well so oil incorporates well with flour.
- Add enough water to make a dough of rolling consistency, as we are preparing for paratha/roti and keep aside covered for 15 minutes.
- Make two medium size chapati, add the filling to the one chapati and cover it with the second one.
- Cook on a pre-heated Tawa. Turn it and pour half tablespoon oil.
- Spread it on the paratha and shallow fry over low heat.
- Turn it and again pour oil on the other side.
- Cook on a low heat till turns little golden brown.
- Serve hot puran poli with yogurt.