Urad Dal Ki Kachori / Khasta Kachori Recipe / Rajasthani Dal Puri Recipe / Bedmi Puri Recipe
Urad ki kachori is a spicy snack popular in various parts of India including Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. It is usually a round flattened ball made of maida-all fine flour filled with a stuffing of fried mixture of urad dal, asafoetida, green chilies, salt, ginger, coriander leaves, red chili powder, garam masala, dry mango powder and coarsely ground cumin seeds, fried it till turns little golden brown and crisp.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Skill Level: Easy
For Dough : —–
- Maida (Fine flour) – 1 cup
- Oil (for dough) – 4 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
For Stuffing : ——
- Split Black Gram With Skin-Chilkewali Urad Dal – 3 cup
- Coarsely Powdered Cumin Seed – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tbsp
- Chopped Green Chill – 1/2 tbsp
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp
- Ginger Paste – 1/2 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
- Dry Mango Powder – 1 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying –
- Water as needed –
- Wash and soak the urad dal for 4 hours.
- In a grinder, add soaked urad dal and make coarsely paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, add asafoetida, green chilies and grinded urad dal.
- Add coarsely ground cumin seeds, red chili powder, ginger paste, garam masala and dry mango powder, mix well.
- Break all the lumps of besan and cook it for 5 minutes or till mixture becomes dry and allow to cool.
- For dough—: In a big bowl, add maida, oil and salt, mix well.
- Add hot water little at a time and knead it to make smooth dough.
- Spread some ghee on top and cover the dough for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, knead the dough ball again to smooth it.
- Divide it in to 6-7 equal portions and roll between your palm and make smooth flatten ball.
- Take small portions from the dough and make a hole in each round portion and pour 1 tbsp stuff in it.
- Make sure to seal tightly and make the entire balls with stuffing and cover it with damp cloth.
- Using your end part of your palm press gently all sides and make about 2.5 inch diameter circle (make sure that dough do not break and filling will not come outside).
- Heat the oil in a pan on low flame and slide the kachori carefully one by one in hot oil for frying.
- They should come up slowly. They will puff up. It will take about two minutes then turn over and fry again.
- Fry it till both sides turns little golden brown.
- Serve hot urad dal kachori with curd or tamrind chutney.