Tamarind Poha Upma / Puli Aval Upma / How To Make Tamarind Poha Upma
Tamarind poha upma is one of the South Indian recipes made with poha and tamarind combination. Poha is a snack made of flattened rice. Poha is cooked with lightly frying mustard seeds, green chili, channa dal, kaju, peanut and spices and then add tamarind soaked aval or poha with spicy mixture and steamed for a few minutes, garnish with grated coconut.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1-2
- Skill Level: Medium
- Aval or Flattened Rice or Poha – 1 cup
- Tamarind Juice – 2 tbsp
- Green Chili (cut into slit) – 2 nos.
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
- Mustard Seed – 1 tbsp
- Channa Dal – 1/2 tbsp
- Peanut – 2 tbsp
- Kaju (cut into halves) – 4-5 nos.
- Grated Coconut (for garnish) – 2-3 tbsp
- In a bowl, add tamarind juice, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt, mix well.
- Soak the poha in the this water and keep aside for 15-20 min.
- Make sure you do not leave it any longer than that, it might turn out soggy.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, add mustard seed and green chili.
- Fry for 2-3 min.
- Add channa dal, kaju and peanut, fry for 3-4 min.
- Now add the tamarind aval and mix well, fry for 3-4 min.
- Garnish with freshly grated coconut.
- Serve hot tamarind poha with chutney.