Fried Kala Chana Recipe / Sookha Kala Chana / Kala Chana Sundal / Kala Chana Masala Recipe
Fried kala chana recipe is easy to make, tasty and tangy Indian snacks. It is very nice side dish with poori or as snacks. Kala chana is also an excellent source of protein. Chana masala is a spicy dish normally prepared with sooji halwa on the last day of Navratri.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Easy
- Kala Chana – 11/4 cup
- Oil for frying –
- Mustard Seed or Cumin Seed – 1 tbsp
- Urad (without skin) (optional) – 1/2 tbsp
- Chopped Green Chili – 1-2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves (optional) – 10-11
- Fresh Grated Coconut (optional) – 2 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Lemon Juice to taste –
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
- Onion Sliced (optional) – 1/4 cup
- Finely Chopped Tomatoes – 1/4 cup
- Finely Chopped Green Mango – 1/4 cup
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves – 1-2 tbsp
- Wash and soak kala chana for 6-7 hour or overnight.
- Cook kala chana in a pressure cook by adding salt and water.
- Cook on medium flame till chana becomes soft and remove excess water, keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, add cumin seed, urad dal, curry leaves and green chili, fry for 2-3 min.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and salt, mix well.
- Add boiled kala chana and fry for 4-5 min.
- Add lemon juice and coconut, mix well.
- Garnish with onion slice, tomato, green mango and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot fried chana with tea or sooji halwa or poori.