Crispy Murukku Recipe / Murukku Recipe / Chakli Recipe
Murukku Recipe is a traditional snack of Tamilnadu. It is made in festivals such as diwali, holi, krishna janmashtami and other festival. Murukku is made of adding rice flour, urad dal flour, butter and water, seasoned with salt, cumin seed and til-sesame seed or cumin seeds. All ingredients are mixed together and make a soft dough that is then shaped into spiral or coil shapes either by using a murukku maker. The spirals are then deep fried in oil. It is also known as chakali, Chakli in Kannada, Chakri in Gujarati, Chakali in Marathi, Murukulu in Telugu.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3-4
- Skill Level: Medium
- Rice flour – 2 cup
- Urad dal Flour – 1/4 cup
- Butter (for dough) – 3 tbsp
- Cumin Seed – 2 tbsp
- Water as needed –
- Salt as per taste –
- Oil for deep frying –
- Til/Sesame Seeds (Roasted) – 1 tbsp
- In a bowl, add rice flour, urad dal flour, cumin seed, salt, til, butter and mix well.
- Then add water to make a non sticky soft dough with no cracks.
- Take a small portion of dough and fill in the murukku or chakli press.
- Carefully press the murukku press over the hot oil on medium flame and deep fry the murukku.
- Fry it till turns little golden brown colour and crisp on both side.
- Keep aside and allow to cool.
- Store in an air tight container.