Curd Rice Recipe / How To Make Curd Rice / Thayir Saadam / Curd Rice / South Indian Yogurt Rice
Curd rice recipe can be prepared by cooked plain rice or leftovers and then mixing it with some salt and yogurt or curd. Then tempered with a tadka of mustard seeds, curry leaves, red dry chillies, channa dal, ginger and urad dal. Garnish with coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds. Garnishing vary with region and range from grated carrots, pomegranate seeds, raisins, green and purple grapes, fried cashewnuts, grated raw mango and boondi. Curd rice is also called yogurt rice.
- Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Easy
- Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Curd – 11/2 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2-3 tbsp
- Pomegranate Seeds – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1-2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Ginger (minced) – 1/4 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 10-11 nos.
- Kaju – 1 tbsp
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Wash and cook the rice with 3 cups of water and some salt, we need overcooked rice which gets easily mashed up.
- When the rice is cooked, mix and mash up part of the rice.
- If it is hot, wait for it to become luke warm before you add the curd. This will prevent the curd from curdling.
- Add the yogurt and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame for tempering and add mustard seed and splutter it.
- Add the channa dal and urad dal, turns it little golden brown.
- Now add the dry red chillies, curry leaves, green chillies, kaju or cashew nut, raisins and ginger.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add this to the curd rice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and pomegranate, mix together.
- Serve curd rice with pickle and papad.