Andhra Tamarind Pulihora Recipe / Andhra Tamarind Rice Recipe / Tamarind Rice Recipe / Puliyodharai Recipe
Andhra tamarind pulihora recipe is a tasty festival rice dish among Tamil food and popular recipe of South India. Puliyodharai is one of my favorites among rice dishes. It is very tasty and tangy in taste. It is made of cooked rice with tamarind paste and spices. Tadka with chana dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves, hing, split urad dal, peanut and dried red chili.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Easy
- Rice – 2 cup
- Oil for frying –
- Peanut – 1/2 cup
- Curry Leaves – 10-11
- Mustard Seed – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chili – 2-3 nos.
- A pinch of asafetida –
- Chana Dal – 1 tbsp
- Split Urad – 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10-11
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Tamarind – 1 cup
- Salt as per taste –
- Wash rice and in a large pan, add 4-5 cups of water, 1/2 tbsp oil and 1/2 tbsp salt and boil it.
- When it’s boiling, add rice.
- when cooked and keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract thick juice out of it.
- In a bowl, add cooked rice, salt and a little oil, mix it well and keep aside.
- Heat the pan, add tamarind extract, salt, turmeric and cook it till turns thick.
- Add this cooked tamarind extract (according to taste) into the rice and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add chana dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves, hing, split urad dal and dried red chili, fry for 2 min or it till little brown.
- Add peanuts and cashews, fry it till they turns light golden brown.
- Add green chili, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- As the ingredients turns brown and the mustard starts to splutter, mix all these to the above prepared rice.
- Tamarind Rice is ready.