Vella Dosai / Sweet Indian Dosa / Jaggery Dosa – Pancake
Vella Dosai is a traditional sweet prepared during Navarathri festival. Vella Dosai is also called Kothumai Inipu Dosai / Sharkkara Dosa / Wheat Flour and Jaggery Pancakes. Dosa can be had either as breakfast or evening snack. Vella dosai are sweet dosa made with wheat flour, rice flour, grated coconut, dry ginger, cardamom powder and jaggery.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Medium
- Wheat Flour – 2 cup
- Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
- Grated Gur – 1 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Dry Ginger Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Ghee (for solution) – 2-3 tbsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Water as needed –
- Oil for making dosa –
- Heat the pan on medium flame, add the jaggery with 1/2 cup of water, stir it till melt the gur.
- Keep aside and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, add the wheat flour and rice flour, mix well.
- Add the jaggery water in the flour mix well.
- Add water little by little and make a lumps free paste.
- Add the cardamom powder, dry ginger powder , salt, coconut and ghee, mix well.
- Take out some batter and dilute with water till you reach the right consistency and it should be thick but easy to spread.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame.
- When hot, add a few drops of oil to it and swirl to coat all sides of the pan.
- Now pour a ladle full of batter onto the pan and lightly use the ladle to spread the batter into a circular shape from the center outwards, make a circle of diameter roughly 4-5″.
- Drizzle with a little oil and lift the edges of the uttappa to allow oil to go under it.
- Flip now and cook it till the other side turns little golden brown.
- Serve hot vella dosa.