Stuffed Bitter Gourd Fry Recipe / Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe / Stuffed Kalonji Karela / Bharwan Karela
Stuffed Bitter Gourd Fry Recipe is a different in taste. Kerala has a bitter in taste. It is prepared with curd that its bitter taste converts into a unique flavour. It is made of spices, curd and poppy seeds give them a good taste.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-5
- Skill Level: Medium
- Bitter Gourd/Karela – 9-10 nos.
- Mustard Oil – 4-5 tbsp
- Cumin Seed – 1 tbsp
- A Pinch Asafoetida –
- Sauf – 2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Kalonji – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
- Dry Mango Powder – 1 tbsp
- Cut the stem off the karela from both ends.
- In a pan, add water and 1 tbsp salt, mix well and dip the karela, keep aside for 2-3 hour.
- Cook the karela in pressure cooker, with water and a pinch of salt.
- Cook it till Bitter gourds little gets soft.
- Take the boiled Bitter gourds out and place them on a strainer to remove remaining water. When Bitter gourds have cooled off completely then remove the seeds and place them on one plate.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, add cumin seed, sauf, kalonji and hing, fry for 3-4 min.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and boiled karela seeds to the spices.
- Fry for 4-5 min.
- Pour curd to the fried spices and fry it till water from the curd dries up and the spices absorb all the curd.
- Add garam masala, salt and dry mango powder, mix well and stuff is ready.
- Divide stuffing into portions equal to the number of Bitter gourds.
- Take one karela, stuff with the spices and bind with thread, keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, put the Bitter gourds.
- Fry it till they turns little golden brown.
- Stir in between.
- Serve hot stuffed karela with chapatis or paratha or rice-dal.
STUFFED BITTER GOURD FRY RECIPE was last modified: March 24th, 2014 by