Eggplant Poppy Seeds Curry / Eggplant Curry / Eggplant In Poppy Seed Gravy Recipe
Eggplant Poppy Seeds Curry is a delicious tangy Indian summer curry. This recipe works fine with a little grainy poppy seed. It is a simple Andhra side dish made with roasted eggplant, cumin seed, mustard seeds and poppy seeds-khas khas. It is very tasty, quick and easy to make, requires a very few ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Easy
- Eggplant/Baigan (cut in slice) – 3-4 nos.
- Mustard Seed – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seed – 11 tbsp
- Oil for frying –
- Garlic-Ginger Paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tbsp
- Khus-Khus/poppy seeds (roasted and ground to a paste) – 3 tbsp
- Tamarind Extract – 1/4 tbsp
- Jaggery (gur) – 11/2 tbsp
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, add eggplant.
- Roast it till turns little golden brown on both sides and remove, keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 2-3 min.
- Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder, mix well.
- Add water and cook it for 4-5 min.
- Add the roasted khus khus paste, tamarind extract and jaggery, cook for 4-5 min.
- Add the roasted baigan and cook for 15 min or till the gravy turns thick.
- Serve hot eggplant poppy seeds curry with rice or roti.