Sakkarai Pongal / Chakkara Pongal / Sweet Pongal Recipe
Sweet Pongal Recipe is one of the most popular recipe in Ugadi /Gudi Padwa. Sweet Pongal is a sweet dish that is made during most festivals in South India. Moong Dal and rice cooked with milk, flavored with cardamom powder and garnish with nuts.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Skill Level: Easy
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Moong Dal – 3-4 tbsp
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Gur – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder – a pinch
- Desi Ghee – 3-4 tbsp
- Chopped Kaju – 2-3 tbsp
- Raisins – 2-3 tbsp
- Water as needed –
- Heat the 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan on medium flame, add kaju and raisins, fry it till turns little golden brown and keep aside.
- Heat the pan on medium flame, add moong dal and roast moong dal it till nice aroma rises and keep aside.
- Cook moong dal, rice with milk in pressure cooker.
- Cook it till dal gets soft.
- Add 1 cup of water to jaggery and mix well, so that it gets dissolved.
- Pour this jaggery water over the cooked rice and dal through a sieve and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and ghee, mix well.
- Cook it till pongal becomes semi thick.
- Garnish with fried raisins and kaju.
- Serve hot sweet pongal.
SWEET PONGAL RECIPE was last modified: March 19th, 2014 by