Steamed Modak Recipe/ Kozhakatti / Modak
Steamed Modak Recipe or Kozhukattai is famous sweet ladoo or dumpling in southern region of India, it varies only with name and few filling ingredients. Modak is a sweet dumpling stuffed with a filling of coconut and jaggery. This is one simplest modak-modakam of all kozhukattai versions. Kozhukattai is prepared as offering to God on Ganesh Chathurthi. Steamed Modak is made of gur-jagger, coconut and rice flour.
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Medium
- Rice Flour – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cup
- Grated Gur – 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Cardamom Powder – a pinch
- Milk – 1-2 tbsp
- Coconut Oil – 1-2 tbsp
- For making filling:— Heat the pan on medium flame, add gur with 2or3 tbsp water and a tbsp of milk.
- Once it is melted well, add the coconut and cardamom powder, mix well.
- Turn of the flame and keep aside allow to cool.
- Make a small balls and keep aside.
- For making covering:— Heat 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and 1 tbsp of coconut oil in the water.
- While it is boiling, mix in the rice flour slowly, making sure not to make lumps.
- Keep stirring till batter does not stick anymore.
- Once done, add 1 tbsp of oil to a bowl and make a dough ball out of the batter and keep aside, cover with wet cotton cloth.
- Make small balls out of the dough, make a depression in the middle to fill in the stuff.
- You can use oil in your hands to keep it from sticking.
- Close the modaks from all sides sealing it on top using your fingers.
- Steam the modak in a pressure cooker for 10-11 min.
- Serve hot or cold modak.