Mawa Gujiya Recipe / Mawa Karanji Recipe
Mawa Gujiya Recipe is a popular North India Dessert. Mawa Gujiya is a sweet dumpling made with maida flour-all purpose flour and khoya-mawa. The gujhia is stuffed with a mixture of grated coconut, almond, kaju, raisin, chironji and sugar, flavored with cardamom powder and then deep fried in oil or ghee. Gujias are also called Pedakiya in Bihar, Karanji in Maharashtra, Ghughra in Gujarat, Karachika in Tamil Nadu and Karjikayi in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
- Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Medium
- Maida (Fine flour) – 1 cup
- Desi Ghee ( clarified butter) – 1/2 cup
- Mawa – 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Powder Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Finely Chopped Almond – 2-3 tbsp
- Chopped Kaju – 2-3 tbsp
- Raisin – 2-3 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tbsp
- Chironji – 2-3 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying –
- For Making Dough:—- In a bowl, add maida flour and ghee and mix well so oil incorporates well with flour.
- Add warm milk to make a dough of rolling consistency, as we are preparing for paratha/roti and keep aside covered with wet muslin cloth for 15 min.
- For Making Stuffing:—- If you have homemade fresh khoya, then frying it is not required. If you do not have fresh khoya then fry it till turns little golden brown and keep aside, allow to cool.
- In a bowl, add mawa, grated coconut, powder sugar, kaju, almonds, raisins, cardamom powder and chironji, mix well.
- Divide the dough into 20-25 sections, roll them out into flat round pancakes.
- Place a spoon of stuffing at the centre and fold the pancake in half.
- Use a cutter to create the fluted crescent border and cut off excess dough and you can seal the edges by applying a little mix (water and atta (2:1)) and pressing down hard.
- After all the gujiya are stuffed cover with wet muslin cloth.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a pan on medium flame, place the gujiya carefully.
- Fry it till turns little golden brown and allow to cool.
- Stored in an air tight container.