Tomato Rasam / How To Make Tomato Rasam / Spicy Tomato Rasam Recipe
Rasam is a traditional dish from the south India. Tomato rasam is low calorie, tangy and spicy South Indian soup recipe. Rasam is traditionally prepared using tamarind juice, with the addition of tomato, green chili, dry red chili and other spices. Boiled dal are added along with any vegetables. Tomato rasam is made of toovar dal, tamarind juice, tomato and Indian spices. Then fry with hing, curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and dry red chili. You can enjoy with plain rice or as a spicy soup.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Medium
- Toovar Dal – 1/4 cup
- Water – 5-6 cup
- Rough Chopped Tomato – 11/2 cup
- Rasam Powder – 2-3 tbsp
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – 1/4 cup
- Salt as per taste –
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Tamrind Paste – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tbsp
For Tadka/popu/tempering:—– –
- Oil for frying –
- Mustard Seed – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seed – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chili – 2-3 nos.
- A Pinch Asafoetida –
- Curry Leaves – 10-11 nos.
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tbsp
- Wash and soak toovar dal for 2-3 hour.
- Cook toovar dal in pressure cook with 2 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook it till dal gets soft and keep aside.
- Boil the 5 cups of water in a pan on medium flame, add tomato, rasam powder, coriander leaves, salt and turmeric powder, boil for 5-6 minutes.
- Add cooked toovar dal, tamarind paste and sugar, mix well.
- Cook it till gets soft and pulpy.
- For making tadka:—— Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, add hing, curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and dry red chili.
- Fry for 2-3 min.
- Add the tadka to the rasam and mix well.
- Serve hot tomato rasam with steamed rice or separately as a spicy soup.