Sambar Recipe / Sambar / How To Make Sambar / Mixed Vegetable Sambar
Sambar is a definite part of south indian meals. Sambhar is made of toovar dal and vegetables such as, drumstick, bottle gaurd, baigan, potato etc. It can be taken with rice, idli, dosa, vada, upma, and just about any south indian snack.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Easy
- Toovar Dal – 1/2 cup
- Water as needed –
- Tamrind Pulp – 3/4 cup
- Chopped Onion – 1 medium
- Chopped Tomato – 1 medium
- Coriander Seeds – 2 tbsp
- Chana Dal (split yellow lentils) – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chili – 2-3 nos.
- Oil for frying –
- Mustard Seed – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
- Drum Stick – 1 nos.
- Bottle gourd – 1/4 cup
- Baigan – 1/4 tbsp
- Potato – 1/4 tbsp
- In a mortar and pestle, add coriander seeds, channa dal, coconut and chili, grind it and keep aside or you can use ready made sambar masala .
- Wash and soak dal for 30 min.
- Cook dal in pressure cooker with salt, drumstick, bottle gaurd, baigan, potato, water and turmeric powder.
- Cook it till dal gets soft.
- In a big bowl, add 1/2 cup of water and tamarind pulp, make a watery juice, keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat, add the mustard seed, dry red chili, cumin seed and asafoetida.
- Fry for 2-3 min and add onion.
- Fry it till turns little brown and add tomato.
- Cover with lid and cook for 4-5 min.
- After that add cooked dal, tamrind juice and sambar masala, mix well.
- Serve hot samhar with steamed rice or dosa or idli.
SAMBAR RECIPE was last modified: December 11th, 2014 by