Punjabi Black Urad Dal Recipe / Mah Ki Dal Recipe / Punjabi Urad Dal
Punjabi black urad dal recipe is another popular North Indian dish. Whole Urad dal is also known as black or kali urad dal due to its whole black colour. Kali urad dal is also known as Ma Ki Daal. The urad dal is cook in pressure cooker, cook it till the dal gets soft. Fried with butter, asafetida, cumin seed, dry red chili, onion, tomato, red chili powder and garam masala, garnish with coriander leaves and butter. It is a very nice side dish. You can serve with naan or rice.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Yield: 3-4
- Skill Level: Medium
- Urad Dal (split black lentils with skin) – 1 cup
- Oil for frying –
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Cumin Seed – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red chili – 2-3 nos.
- Chopped Green Chili – 2-3 nos.
- Chopped Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Chopped Onion – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Tomato – 1/4 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
- Water as needed –
- Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves (finely chopped for garnish) – 2-3 tbsp
- Wash and soak urad dal for 4 hours.
- Cook the dal in pressure cooker with water, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook it till dal gets soft.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, add cumin seed, dry red chili, green chili, ginger, garlic and onions, fry it till turns golden brown.
- Add tomato, cover and cook for 5-6 min.
- Add cooked dal, little water and mix well, cook it till dal becomes thick.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot punjabi black urad dal with roti or rice.