Dal Dhokli Recipe / Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe / Dal Khokali Recipe / How To Make Dal Dhokli
Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe is a traditional dish of Guajarati cuisine. Generally prepared with dal-lentils and wheat flour. It has mild sweet and spicy taste of aromatic spices, tamrind and crunchy peanuts. Dal Dhokli is simply a bowl of warmth and goodness. Dal Dhokari is made by cooking spiced wheat flour chapati dough with spiced toovar dal, garnish with coriander leaves.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Medium
For Dhoklis —–
- Wheat Flour-Atta – 1 Cup
- Besan – 1/2 Cup
- Salt as per taste –
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Ajwain – 1/4 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Oil (for dough) – 1 tbsp
- Water as needed –
- Toor Dal-Split Pigeon Pea-Arhar Dal – 1 Cup
- Desi Ghee-Clarified Butter – 3-4 tbsp
- Cloves – 1-2 nos.
- Cinnaman-Dal Chini – 1-2 nos.
- Curry Leaves – 10-11 nos.
- Chopped Green Chilies – 1 tbsp
- Asaefoetida – a pinch –
- Tamrind Juice – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 100 gm
- Groundnut-Peanut – 50 gm
- Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Tomato Pulp – 1 cup
- Coriander Leaves (finely chopped) – 2-3 tbsp
- Finely Chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Finely Chooped Garlic – 1 tbsp
- In a bowl, add wheat flour, salt, besan, turmeric powder, ajwain, red chili powder and mix well.
- Add oil and knead the flour as we are preparing for roti/paratha.
- Wash and soak toor dal for 30 min.
- Cook in pressure cooker till dal gets soft and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium flame, add cloves and cinnamon and mustard.
- When they crackle add curry leaves, green chili, ginger, garlic and asafetida.
- Add cooked toor dal, tamarind, sugar, water, groundnut, garam masala, red chili powder and mix well.
- Add tomato, turmeric powder and salt, boil the dal.
- Roll out big rotis and cut them into pieces and add these pieces in boiling dal.
- Cook it till dhokli gets cook.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the dal dhokli warm.