Dal Makhani / Dal Makhani Recipe / How To Make Punjabi Dal Makhani
Dal makhani is a popular dal recipe originating from the Punjab region. It is also know as Maa Di Dal. This recipe differs from other popular Punjabi dal dishes, such as dal tadka or any other. In Dal makhani, the main ingredients are whole black lentil or whole urad, butter and red kidney beans or rajma. It is also a popular dish during marriages and any other occasion. It is very rich in calories. You can serve with lachha paratha or rotis or naan or jeera rice.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Yield: 3-4
- Skill Level: Medium
- Whole Urad Dal or Whole Black Lentil – 3/4 cup
- Rajma – 2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
- Cumin Seed – 1 tbsp
- Cinnaman or Dal Chini – 1-2 nos.
- Cloves – 3-4 nos.
- Chopped Green Chilies – 2-3 nos.
- Garlic and Ginger (paste 1:1) – 2 tbsp
- Finely Chopped Onion – 1/2 cup
- Finely Chopped Tomatoes – 1/2 cup
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves (for garnish) – 2-3 tbsp
- Butter (for garnish) –
- Water as needed –
- Wash and soak whole urad dal and rajma for at least 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Cook the soaked urad dal and rajma in a pressure cooker with salt, water and turmeric powder.
- Heat the butter in a pan on medium flame and add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Fry it for 3-4 min.
- Add green chilies, ginger paste and garlic paste, saute for 30 seconds.
- Then add onions and mix well.
- Fry it till onions turns little golden brown.
- Add tomato, garam masala, coriander powder and red chili powder and mix well.
- Cover and cook it till tomato gets soft.
- Add boiled dal mixture and ¾ cup of water, mix well.
- Boil it till for 10-12 min or gravy gets little thick.
- Garnish with some butter cube and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot dal makhani with lachha paratha.