Cauliflower Sambar / Cauliflower Sambar Recipe / Sambar Recipe
Cauliflower Sambar is a tasty variety of sambar which is little different from traditional sambars. Cauliflower is low in fat and carbohydrates but high in dietary fiber,water and vitamin C. It is made of toovar dal, onion, cauliflower, tomato and spices. It can be taken with rice or dosa or idli.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Easy
- Roasted Bengal Gram/ Pottu kadalai – 2 tbsp
- Sambar Powder – 2 tbsp
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Chopped Tomato – 1 medium
- Chopped Onion – 1-2 small
- Tamrind Juice (soaked in ½ cup of water for 10 minutes) – 2 tbsp
- Cauliflower (cut into big florets) – 1 medium
- Cooked Toovar Dal – 1/2 cup
- Mustard Seed – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 6-7
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2-3 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
- A pinch of asafetida –
- Boil the water in a pan, add cauliflower and cook for 4-5 mins, ensure that the florets are not over-cooked.
- In a grinder, add roasted bengal gram, sambar powder, coconut, tomato, onion, little water and tamarind juice, make a fine paste and keep aside or you can use ready made sambar masala .
- To the pan, add the ground mixture, cooked dal and allow it to cook for 3-4 min or till the raw smell fades.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida, fry it.
- Add to the above mixture and mix well.
- Add the half cooked cauliflower florets and allow it to boil with the mixture for 4-5 min.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot cauliflower sambar with plain rice.